Replace this text with your copyright information and address.
"Your name" is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization. Street Address, City, State 123456

YOUR PAGE HEADER

Welcome to your Wild Apricot site

Patten Island Overnighter Trip

• Fri, May 03, 2019
  • 5:00 PM
  • Sun, May 05, 2019
  • 5:00 PM
  • Patten Island, Harrison, TN

Patten Island Overnighter

1 or 2 night option

Trip Leader:Eric Burnett-trip leader

What:   1 or 2 night overnighter

When: Friday May 3, Saturday May 4

Where: Patten Island, Chickamauga Lake, parking and departing from Harrison Bay State Park boat ramp). It's a 1 mile open water paddle from Harrison Bay State Park parking lot to Patten island.  At times there is heavy boat traffic in and out of the ramp.

Itinerary Details:

Friday May 3 - Supper at Dockside Café 5 PM, 6 PM paddle across the channel/lake to one of 4 campsites that I have staked out earlier in the day with my tent. (Campsites are first come, first serve.) Campfire and the sunset!

Saturday May 4- breakfast and morning paddle around the islands (typically flatwater conditions), break for lunch.  Afternoon option of hiking around island, visiting Bell Cemetery (vacated cemetery-no headstones that I’ve found) or paddling north along shoreline, group consensus.  The afternoon conditions can be windy with waves. Depending on water level we might be able to visit the remains of Old Harrison on some of the southern islands. Repeat campfire and sunset show.

Saturday night- for some that are interested only in 1 might meet up with me or the group at Harrison Bay Boat Ramp 6 PM after supper. Paddle back to island, supper/campfire on the island.

Sunday-break camp, light paddling around islands, paddle back to boat ramp by 11 am

History:

John A. Patten Island in Harrison Bay is a primitive, wooded retreat that seems far from civilization but is only a half an hour paddle from the busy, suburban neighborhoods of eastern Hamilton County.  The 100 acre island and its sister islands are all that remain of the town of Harrison, which was flooded by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) when Chickamauga Lake was formed in 1940. 

https://outdoorchattanooga.com/patten-island/

Harrison Bay Park Rangers patrol the area/TVA Campground rules apply-no alcohol. White headlamp, boat light are necessary for twilight/night paddling.

Contact Eric Burnett at 423 321-2619

John A. Patten Island in Harrison Bay is a primitive, wooded retreat that seems far from civilization but is only a half an hour paddle from the busy, suburban neighborhoods of eastern Hamilton County.  The 100 acre island and its sister islands are all that remain of the town of Harrison, which was flooded by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) when Chickamauga Lake was formed in 1940.

--